INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS
Azerbaijani Journal of Surgery is an international, peer- reviewed journal publishing high-quality, and original research. Each article is subjected to double blind peer review to ensure the journal is authoritative, accessible and relevant. Azerbaijani Journal of Surgery accepts the following article types: Articles; Book Reviews; Conference Proceedings, Critical Notices
Azerbaijani Journal of Surgery follows the COPE guidelines regarding allegations of research misconduct in its publications.
The authors must submit research ethics permits issued by the research ethics commission. It states the ethical behavior of all parties involved in publishing an article in the Azerbaijani Journal of Surgery writers, editors, reviewers and publishers.
This journal operates a single blind review process. All contributions will be initially assessed by the editor for suitability for the journal. Papers deemed suitable are then typically sent to a minimum of two independent expert reviewers to assess the scientific quality of the paper. The Editor is responsible for the final decision regarding acceptance or rejection of articles. The Editor’s decision is final.
Originality and plagiarism
The author is responsible for the content, language, originality of the article. The authors should ensure that they have written entirely original works, and if the authors have used the work and/or words of others that this has been appropriately cited or quoted.
Plagiarism takes many forms, from “passing off” another´s paper as the author´s own paper, to copying or paraphrasing substantial parts of another´s paper (without attribution), to claiming results from research conducted by others. Plagiarism in all its forms constitutes unethical publishing behavior and is unacceptable.
Conflicts of Interest
Authors must disclose, at submission, any association that poses or could be perceived as a conflict of interest in connection with the manuscript, and acknowledge all funding sources supporting the work. When asked to evaluate a manuscript, members, reviewers, and editors must disclose any association that poses a conflict of interest in connection with the manuscript.
Azerbaijani Journal of Surgery follows the conflict of interest policy of PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA).
Please note that this journal only publishes manuscripts in English.
Preparing Your Paper
Manuscripts should be compiled in the following order: title page; abstract; keywords; main text introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion; acknowledgments; declaration of interest statement; references; appendices (as appropriate); table(s) with caption(s) (on individual pages); figures; figure captions (as a list).
Please include a word count for your paper
- Manuscripts should be between 3,000 and 5,000 words, inclusive of the abstract, tables, figure captions, endnotes.
- The title of the article should be less than 10 words, capitalized, centered, with font size 14.
- Should contain an unstructured abstract of 250 words.
- The name(s) of the author(s), e-mail address, and affiliation should exist below the title.
- Immediately after the abstract, provide a maximum of 3-5 keywords, using either British or American spelling, but be consistent, and avoiding general and plural terms and multiple concepts (avoid, for example, “and”, “of”).
Please write your text in good English (American or British usage is accepted, but not a mixture of these). In order to avoid possible grammatical or spelling errors and to make your work readable and understandable for readers, we advise you to get your work proofread by professionals or native speakers before submitting it
In particular, manuscripts must be double-spaced, including quotations and references; references must be complete and placed at the end of the manuscript. If a manuscript substantially cites the work of another author, a signed agreement giving permission to reprint the material from that work’s copyright holder must be included. Only manuscripts that have not been published elsewhere, including online, will be considered for publication.
The format of the text should be as following: Times New Roman size 11-point font, double line spacing, top and left margin 3 cm, bottom and right margin 2.54 cm, printed in A4, no indentations at the beginning of the paragraphs.
Essential title page information
- Concise and informative. Titles are often used in information-retrieval systems. Avoid abbreviations and formulae where possible.
- Author names and affiliations. Please clearly indicate the given name(s) and family name(s) of each author and check that all names are accurately spelled. You can add your name between parentheses in your own script behind the English transliteration. Present the authors’ affiliation addresses (where the actual work was done) below the names. Indicate all affiliations with a lower- case superscript letter immediately after the author’s name and in front of the appropriate Provide the full postal address of each affiliation, including the country name and, if available, the e-mail address of each author.
- Corresponding Clearly indicate who will handle correspondence at all stages of refereeing and publication, also post-publication. This responsibility includes answering any future queries about Methodology and Materials. Ensure that the e-mail address is given and that contact details are kept up to date by the corresponding author.
- Present/permanent address. If an author has moved since the work described in the article was done, or was visiting at the time, a ‘Present address’ (or ‘Permanent address’) may be indicated as a footnote to that author’s
The address at which the author actually did the work must be retained as the main, affiliation address. Superscript Arabic numerals are used for such footnotes.
The cover page of the copy should include: 1) a running head, 2) the author’s name, institutional affiliation, mailing address, business and home telephone numbers, e-mail address, and a 35 word biography for each author.
The manuscript body should include:
- running head and page numbers,
- The manuscript,
- tables and figures, and the reference section. Authors should retain a copy of manuscripts submitted.
References and citations must be in Chicago Referencing System.
Please make sure that artwork files are in an acceptable format (TIFF (or JPEG), EPS (or PDF), or MS Office files) and with the correct resolution.
A typical book review for this journal should be more than 1000 and no more than 2000 words. A typical critical notice for this journal should be more than 3000 and no more than 5000 words. The first page should include the title of the article, the names and primary affiliations of the author(s), an abstract (no more than 200 words) and 5 keywords. All figures, photographs, tables, or drawings should be numbered. The book review should contain no more than 2 bibliographical references, to be included at the end of the text (not as a footnote).